9.17.2008

andrea's top five

TOP 5 COVER SONGS OF THE NEW MILLENIUM:

5. David Cook, Hello.  
Yes, American Idol is full of shitty covers, but our boy delivered when faced with the daunting task of making a Lionel Richie song sound cool.

4. Ben Harper & Jack Johnson, High Tide or Low Tide.  
Performed most famously in front of a live audience on Last Call with Carson Daly, the kings of acoustic knocked our socks to Jamaica and back.  The vocals?  Ah.ma.zing.

I'm not crazy about every song on the I Am Sam soundtrack, but I do love this one.  90% of everything Eddie Vedder touches turns out fabulously, and this is no exception.

2. Eric Clapton, They're Red Hot.  
Off the all-around incredible Me and Mr. Johnson (a tribute to legendary blues artist Robert Johnson), Clapton manages to completely reinvent this 1935 classic while still staying true to it's roots.

 1. Chris Thile, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground.  
Maybe I'm biased.  I'll admit to my incredible obsession with all things Chris Thile, but making sweet bluegrass out of a Jack White track is a rather admirable feat.





photo credit: 1

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting picks. Not being able to bring myself to watch Idol, I had not seen David Cook before, but he's pretty good. And anyone who can take that lame and cheesy song and make it sound cool is good in my book. I may not agree exactly with your choices, but I must admit that you have very good and very eclectic tastes. Your Eddie Vedder comment is right on, but being a die hard Who fan, I'd have to give a nod to the classic Love Riegn O'er Me cover that he interpreted so well. Keep up the good work and congrats on the new blog to the Duke Fab Four.

mariel said...

who thinks the skipper is awesome for commenting on here? *all raise hands*