9.16.2008

Local Flavor: Durham's Best

The title of this post may be a little misleading, since I no longer live in NC, but I thought I would share some local bands I love before it got too late.

New Artica, Indie Pop, 
Chapel Hill, NC

The addition of Maigan Kennedy on cello lends a unique sound to the band's sometimes-electronic-sometimes-acoustic repertoire.
Download their EP for free here. (The hassle of signing up for Myspace is totally worth it.)  Pay attention to "A Simple," "Boom Clap" and "Why Would I Leave?"


Annuals, Alt/Experimental/Folk, 
Raleigh, NC

Now a staple of indie music festivals such as Bonnaroo, the Annuals got their start right in Durham's backyard.  Their music may be on my "max relax" playlist but it certainly won't put you to sleep.  Check out "Sore" and "Confessor" on their Myspace, and download some free mp3s of their older stuff from one of my favorite blogs.


Bull City, Southern Rock, Durham, NC

This isn't normally my go-to music genre, but Bull City is Lynyrd Skynyrd meets The Wallflowers to me.  I'm a fan of the sultry guitar solo on "Everything Falls Apart" and the mellow hook on "Game."  Listen here.  Plus, the drummer works at The Beanery...or whatever it's called these days.



Stella by Starlight, Indie/Electronica, Durham, NC

Duke's golden boys have come a long way since they played the Great Hall as "The Born Analogue."  With a multi-state concert tour underway, a far more electronic EP due out in a month or so, and a new management team, their future looks promising.  But what happened to Greg, drummer extraordinaire?  He's noticeably missing from the band's Myspace header, which now bills itself as a duo...
photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4.

No comments: