Somehow I am the luckiest person ever and managed to win the NBC ticket lottery, securing spots for Lindsey and I to attend a live taping of the greatest sketch comedy show ever to exist. That in itself is unbelievable news, but Lindsey's obsession, Jon Hamm, star of AMC's retro drama "Mad Men" was hosting, and the musical guest was MY FAVORITE BAND OF ALL TIME, COLDPLAY.
In a bittersweet turn of events, funny gal Amy Poehler was absent, whisked off to give birth to her and Will Arnett's born-to-be-hilarious offspring. But this meant that we all scored in the music department--to fill the time slots of her previously scheduled skits, Coldplay played 4 songs instead of the usual 2 song allotment. Recent chart toppers "Viva La Vida" and "Lost!" were joined by blast-from-the-past "Yellow" and a super-bonus of new single "Lovers in Japan." The live broadcast cut off "Lovers in Japan" after about 10 seconds, but the studio audience heard it all. We were sitting on the left hand side of the balcony, directly in front of the stage, MERE FEET away from the band. The sound was incredible, and I couldn't believe their musical passion, as evident then as it was a couple years ago at a much larger outdoor venue. All four songs sent Lindsey and I into cardiac arrest.
This video gives you a pretty good idea of our ecstasy. (And if you pause at 7 seconds, you can pick Linds and I out of the crowd!)
P.S. Watch this skit. You won't regret it.
No comments:
Post a Comment